The Estimate Maturity Model Can Improve Project Success
Dan Galorath briefed the Galorath estimate maturity model, a method of evaluating where the organization is in estimation practice and where it wants / needs to go.
This paper discusses poor estimates and their impact on projects as well as how to improve estimate maturity as a means to more successful projects.
The presentation concludes:
- Estimation and estimation process are core for successful software projects
- Improving estimate maturity can improve your project success rate
- Gartner says even SEER use improves estimate vs. actual variance by 50%
- A good guess is not a substitute for a viable estimate
- Looking at total ownership cost can change project prospective
- Much of the industry is at level 1 in estimation maturity
- Process initiatives like CMMI require:
- Estimation & planning, monitoring & control, measurement & analysis
- IT Infrastructure and IT Services are significant costs and must be estimated in addition to software development and maintenance
Thank you for reading “Dan on Estimating”, if you would like more information about Galorath’s estimation models, please visit our contact page, call us at +1 310 414-3222 or click a button below to ask sales questions, sign up for our free library or schedule a demo.